Monday, March 27, 2006

Fucking WOODPECKER!

Contrary to what the thermometer tells me this morning (37 degrees), it apparently IS spring after all. I know this because for the past week, every couple of days around 6:15 a.m., we are treated to the mating call of a local woodpecker. Since woodpeckers don't have a "song", this involves perching on the gutter outside our bedroom and "drumming". This is when they peck on something "resonant" to make a loud noise for territorial and/or mating purposes. Poor Mr. Velma. He is not the world's best sleeper, and mornings are the worst for him. Thrice in the last week, the loud drumming is then followed by me swishing open the curtains and opening the sliding door. Sometimes that is enough, but this morning I had to step out on the deck and yell at it. Nothing like stepping outside in your nightgown into the frigid New England morning - better than coffee! OK, that's a lie. Coffee is still the king. But I digress. After a little internet research, I've added a new "to do" item to my list for today. I'm gonna go buy some mylar balloons at the party store and attach them to our deck, where they will bob and float and hopefully scare the crap out of Woody.

No comments:

Post a Comment