Monday, February 16, 2009

February Vacation

Unlike previous years, we are not basking in the sun and picking sand out of delicate parts of our anatomy this week. We are having a "staycation" instead, and I know you'll be shocked when I tell you that so far? It is not nearly as fun as reading trashy novels as the warm breeze caresses my palid skin. On the bright side, it's a lot cheaper. I also didn't have to spend a week packing up the family. Oooh - another big plus: no flying involved. Wow - I think I'm starting to talk myself into enjoying this week. Lord knows I've got plenty of trashy reading material lying around the house, so maybe with a little creative visualization I can recapture the feeling of balmy weather and relaxation. Maybe a glass of lemonade and a sunny spot on the hardwood floor? I haven't swept up all weekend, so there should be plenty of grit on the floor to simulate the sand. We do have a few fun things planned for the week. Some playdates, and friends coming to visit, and then Dr. V. and I are planning a overnight getaway in Boston this weekend while the kids stay with the in-laws. It's been a long time since we've done that, and I'm kind of at a loss as to what we should do on Saturday night. (Besides the hotel sex, I mean. Heh.) I've noticed this winter that I feel less inclined to go out and do things. Not in an anti-social way at all, more than I'm extraordinarily content to stay home. Maybe it's the medication, but I think a bigger part is that the kids are so much easier to be around. In previous years, when we would plan a date or a night away from the kids, it was to escape them. It's different now, and when I read blog posts written by moms with much younger children, it brings it all back. How HARD it was, how exhausting and demoralizing, and how right now it's... not. ____________________ (Or perhaps I spoke too soon, as there is blood curdling screaming coming from the family room. Ta!)

5 comments:

  1. You and I are so on the same wavelength. Staycation it is, and I don't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, home is where you have your Christian Bale honey off the belly dreams, right? So I don't blame you for wanting to stick around and see if that dream cycles back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a staycation sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staycation is our only option. The medication doesn't make me want to leave the house any more than I did when I first started taking it, it just makes putting up with the crap in my head, more bearable.

    Seriously though...just the thought of packing and getting situated with a toddler on an airplane makes me nauseous. Staycations rule at this point! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  5. We do this beach thing every summer and because of the packing alone, it's way more work then just chilling at home so yeah...good call! And yes, smaller kids will make you question your sanity at times but thankfully it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete