Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Sweet Little Goth

"Mom, I want to be goth." "Goth? What do you mean?" "You know, like black clothes and scary makeup." "Dude. You're six. You can't be goth." "When can I be goth?" "When you are older." "Like a teenager?" "Yes. When you are a teenager, you can be goth." ......................... An hour later, he comes out of my room with brick red lipstick smeared around his mouth, complete with fake blood drips down his chin, asking if he can use my eyeliner to make fake stitches on his arm. We discuss everything that is wrong with this scenario, from rooting around in my makeup without permission to why he wants to look so scary. ......................... As I am tucking him into bed, he asks, "When I'm a teenager and I am goth, how old will I be?" "Eighteen, honey. That's a good age to be goth." 10 hugs, 10 kisses. I nuzzle his neck, smooth his hair, run my hand down his back. Barely 3 1/2 feet tall, 44 pounds. He's so little, and yet he's so... MUCH. As I move to the door, he mumbles, "I think I'll be goth when I'm 13. THAT'S when you turn to a teenager." I whisper, "How about 16? You can be goth when you are 16." The last thing I hear as I shut the door is, "How about 14? That's a good compromise." Nothing like a little late-night negotiating of future alternative lifestyles, huh? (We settled on 15.)

12 comments:

  1. Really brief but succinct narration of the dialogue that takes place in an average household. I salute the creativity and imaginativeness of the writer....
    http://iphone.mobilechamps.com/mydad.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - he's so adorable. Let's hope by the time he gets to 15 he realizes that goth? not so cool afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I m sure w/ a parent like u he can never turn in to a GOTH for sure....http://iphone.mobilechamps.com/mydad.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is adorable.
    Love the compromising and the stories you have to tell him when he's 12, 13, 14 or 15 and going through yet another identity crisis ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. watch, you've delayed the process and now he'll be goth well into his 50s...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh MY! Hopefully his fascination will pass before he reaches 15.

    Just as I'm hoping my daughter gets over wanting a pony by the age of 8 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is actually pretty cool.

    The beauty of the goth phase is that makeup washes off. He could have wanted to join a gang or a cult.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cute as a black, iron, rusty button on an old, grayed out trench coat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny! Now...Hopefully he won't remember this conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember my Goth days, I died my hair black..that was it and my parents freaked. Deep southern fried Baptist, they were. They just knew I was worshiping the devil. lol Silly. I'm sure my son will come to me one day like yours did, I will try to remember how I wanted to do things like that too and my parents wouldn't let me express myself. You're son sounds like a total cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry - weren't you just telling me it gets easier? Seems like you just swap the old problems for a big heap of new ones. But at least yours come with charm...

    ReplyDelete