Thursday, July 23, 2009

I Miss Chicago. (Not Right Now, Obviously, But in General.)

I'm sitting in my hotel room feeling bombarded by nostalgia. Everywhere I look, even right out my window, are memories. There is the condo building where one of the attorneys I worked with lived, and we used to go to her place and have drinks before going out at night. I can see the movie theater where Dr. V. and I waited in line for hours to see "Star Trek: Generations," like the good little geeks we still are. Golly, I can even see the bridge where our taxi had to pull over one night so one of the members of our party crew could throw up. Lovely. I walked around last night for a while, past my old office building and our apartment, checking out all the changes that have happened in 14 years. It's strange to see what's new and what is still exactly the same. We lived in Chicago for 5 years, moving away only because Dr. V's medical training demanded it. I would have stayed in a heartbeat - in fact, the depressing prospect of leaving triggered a series of therapy sessions for me. Today is when all the BlogHer09 fun starts, although I had a great time last night catching up with lots of on-line friends at one of the hotel bars. This on-line/real life collision is scary, especially when you have to walk into a room alone, but then you start talking to people and it stops being weird. Now I have to decide which old favorite restaurant to have lunch at. Star of Siam? Their pad thai was a favorite lunch back in the day... or maybe I'll go see if the burgers are still awesome at Blackies. Tough choices, huh?

6 comments:

  1. It was wonderful meeting you last night! I had to laugh when I read this post because we ate at Star of Siam at least every couple of weeks when we were living downtown last summer. Our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going through bus. cards and catching up on blogs from blogher 09. LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read on fresh vintage that you blog anonymously..I thought I was the only one who did that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VELMA! It was so nice to meet you this weekend! I'm so glad we had a chance to chat on Wednesday night in the bar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also lived in Chicago all too briefly and get complete pangs whenever I return or even just have a layover at O'Hare. There's just something about that city.

    ReplyDelete