Friday, August 14, 2009

Diagnosis? A Raging Case of Summeritis.

It's that time of the year again. It sounds crazy, I know... but my kids are getting sick of summer. "Want to go to the beach?" "We did that yesterday." "Want to help me wash the car?" "It's too hot outside." "Want to turn off the Wii and clean your room?" "It's not fair! You are the meanest mom ever!" "Yes, I AM the Meanest Mom Ever. But how did you know that? Did you paw through my underwear drawer and find my pageant sash?" "You are NOT FUNNY! NOT FUNNY AT ALL!" "Oh, did you miss my "Funniest Mom" award? Oh, that's right - I keep that one boxed up in the basement." "AAAAARRRRGGHHH!" (usually followed by her patented "door-closed-hard-enough-to-express-displeasure-but-not-technically-a-slam" move.) I am looking forward to the start of school. I need more time to concentrate on my personal projects, which have gone absolutely nowhere this summer. I should know better, but I always think I'll be more productive than I turn out to be when summer rolls around. New blog design, Etsy store, review site, fiction writing - none of those things have been finished, between car pooling and friends coming to town and lazy days. I'm not complaining. It has been a fine summer, full of travel and friends and good stuff. I'm just, you know, ready for it to be done now. And it's obvious the kids are, too - all the stuff they were looking forward to in June is now boring and routine. Library, playground, beach, friend's houses, craft projects, sprinkler... heck, there is only so much of that stuff a kid can take! So, yeah. We'll have another week or so at home, with the kids going to a camp in the morning next week. Then we drive to Pennsylvania for our annual summer visit with my family. Then we come home and have another week of holiday picnics and fun, and then they start school, and I can stop torturing them with awful things like... HOMEMADE SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM! (Cue the horrified shrieking, right?)

7 comments:

  1. I would ADORE some of that caramel ice cream!!!

    I'll be right over. I'll even bring my own spoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... salt. carmel. ice cream. There's only one way to make those things more awesome. By putting them all together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I wouldn't do for a summer to do all of that fun stuff. Though I suppose it would get old after awhile.

    However, that ice cream, would never get old. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. um, that ice cream? i'm on my way too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If homemade ice cream is considered torture, count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, but *I* am the meanest mom ever for making my son turn off the TV and computer every few HOURS for a short period of time. Oh and for making him eat a piece of grilled chicken, on a bun so big the chicken was barely visible. And for dragging him to the beach. 3 weeks to school!!

    ReplyDelete