Thursday, October 29, 2009

Picture Day

Wow, there has been a lot going on in my life these days. Dr. V. is over the flu (we don't know exactly which strain it was, but are sure the Tamiflu helped.) I had a very quiet birthday, which was fine since we'd done our big celebratin' the weekend before. I actually met with a lawyer the morning of my birthday to discuss having our wills drawn up. Nice reminder of one's own mortality, I thought. Peanut has continued to be challenging, more so this week than last. He has had a few self-injury episodes in the past, mostly involving scratching himself when he is super frustrated, and he had one this week. Tuesday morning he woke me up at 5 a.m., climbing into bed and loudly talking about the dream he'd just had. I put him back to bed but then couldn't fall back asleep, so I was a little bleary when I sent him off to school that morning. It was one of Those Mornings, when the only clean shirt was way too small and had sleeves coming halfway up his forearm. We got down to the bus stop and I got a good look at him in the daylight and saw his poor flaky allergy eyes - the skin around his eyes is irritated but gets even more so if we try and clean him up too often. He's looking a little rough these days. He needs a haircut, he's got dark circles under his eyes, and he won't stop worrying at his lower lip so he's got this reddened chapped rim under it. When I picked him up at the bus stop that afternoon, I was disturbed to see scabbed-over scratches on his forehead, neck, and back of the neck. He told me he'd been angry and frustrated because he accidentally cut off part of his art project and he scratched himself. When I got home I read the note from his teacher talking about the incident, and at the bottom she had written a note about how we had forgotten to send in our school picture order... which was that day. And of course, art class is in the morning, so the pictures were taken after the little bout of self-mutilation. Because what could go better with an already scrubby-looking kid than a bloody forehead? FABULOUS! (Needless to say, this year I'm shelling out the extra $10 for "digital re-touching.")

4 comments:

  1. Poor guy and poor mama!

    When I was little, I used to always get a big ol' cold sore on my lip the day of photos!

    Hope next week is a better for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does he have a real fixation involving his hands? I'm sure you know but there are really durable bracelets (both girly and boyish ones) for kids who need to keep their hands busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear you had a tough week.
    My son with Asperger's tends to do the same when upset. We got him a squishy ball, rubberbands and amazingly....glue bottles that he can peel the dried glue off of. Anything to keep his hands busy and my son won't self mutilate.

    ReplyDelete